How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 101416
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband and l have been seperated since 2007.he changed

Customer Question

my husband and l have been seperated since 2007.he changed locks on our home and moved his girlfriend gain was an empty lot which l sold for 95000 in 2009. in 2012 l loost my job of 37 years.l went back to school and grauated in 2013.l have not found a job so things are ex turns 65 in feb 2016. am l entitled to any of his pension?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

What province are you in?

How long were you married for?

Is there a separation agreement?

Are you asking about CPP?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
in Ontario..married for 12 seperation agreement.l am asking about any possible benefit
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunate, you are too late to make any claim to any asset that is in your spouse's name. You had to bring an application to make claim to any of his assets, including a pension, within six years of the separation or two years if you had gotten divorced.

You are entitled to make a claim for a credit spill eith CPP. You do not need an agreement for this in Ontario.

I suggest you contact CPP now as the credit splitting process takes many months.