How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 101441
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My bf HAD a Corp. it was frozen 7 yrs ago. He had me start a

Customer Question

my bf HAD a Corp. it was frozen 7 yrs ago. He had me start a new one. All his Corp contract stuff runs it now. All in my name. I put personal money in and he drains it. Never money for GST or Corp or source deductions. I'm being mentally and physically abused. Corp owes prob $100000 to rev can. Now I hear him talk to his son about tsf assets into his name. Is there any thing I can do???? He is planning on financially ruining me. He hasn't worked since February and we are living off my rsps which o accumulated before o met him.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

Are you listed as the only director of this corporation?

Are you saying you owe the CRA for sales tax and remittances?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am the sole director. We owe GST and corp and sorce dedictions. We haven't filed the Corp taxes in two years. I used to work for a cma. He just ignores what I tell him and spends ALL the money.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have been cashing in rsps to try to keep us afloat. As soon as i put in Corp account he finds a reason to get mad and drains the accounts!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have poured personal cash into this Corp. I'm I going to be able to recover any of it???
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He worked as a contract consultant for cenovus energy.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well if you can help call me tomorrow. In the morning when he is sleeping but after 10 am please
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

This is a very serious situation. That is because while you will not owe corporate debt personally, you will personally owe all of the GST that is owing and all of the remittances that are owing. Even if you declare personal bankruptcy that does not extinguish these debts as you likely know.

If he is talking about transferring assets to his son your next step has to be to consult with a lawyer face-to-face as you very well may have to take steps to freeze his assets so that you are not left in a dire situation.

I am not able to speak to you on the telephone. The rules of my law society prohibit this because you are not my client.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If I can prove thu bank records that he just takes the money I personally put in will I be able to recoup any of it. If I can get him to take personal and financial responsibility for the Corp, since it's all he company running thru it, will he be legally responsible?
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

He is liable to you but you are liable to the CRA.

This is why you need your own lawyer and quickly.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I know I put too much faith and trust in h
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

I am so sorry about that.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. I will consult one very shortly. I know it is serious. He's going to cost me plenty. Not just financially. Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My fault. I knew in my gut a long time ago. I allowed it to get this far. Just wish I wasn't going to have to live my golden years out in a box in the alley. I worked hard as a single mother for years and this one guy had totally screwed my future. But like I said, I let him do it for fear of retribution
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

But don't give up. Get a lawyer and then take the steps the lawyer recommends.