Debra, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

I am a permanent resident in Alberta. I came here through

Customer Question

I am a permanent resident in Alberta. I came here through family class after my husband and I got married.
We are in a poly-amorous relationship and plan on having a commitment ceremony in a couple of weeks with another man, who lives in Florida.
The question is this: How, if at all, can we get him up here? He has a masters degree in library and information sciences and has been looking at getting a job here in Edmonton in that field. He is an academic and medical librarian. He also is willing to go back to school, though he already has outstanding student loans.
Is there any advice that you can give?
Category: Canada Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

To apply for permanent residency in Canada this man has to fall within one of the different classes or categories that gives him the grounds he needs to immigrate to Canada.

From your information it would seem that the only way he may be able to apply is under the skilled worker class.

Here is the link that will provide you with all the information he will need about this process:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/index.asp

When he reads all the information he will see that there are basically two ways people can apply under this category. One way is if their occupation falls within the list that they provide him.

The second way is if he gets a job offer and then this job falls within the categories and levels that is listed on the National Occupation List.

You will also see that there is an eligibility test he can take to see it looks like he is eligible.