Debra, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

Are you familiar with the clearance letter from CRA after an

Customer Question

Are you familiar with the clearance letter from CRA after an estate is settled? In the event that we (A and B) settle is it possible to add a stipulation that the deal is voidable if CRA comes back on anything? I ask based on a previous discussion of the
shady tax dealings of C and don't want anything him and the deceased did to come back after the will is settled. I don't trust C and want to make sure the deal is lock tight...If so be
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

You can come to any agreement you want so long as you have a lawyer that drafts it or at least reviews the agreement and gives you each independent legal advice.

But the estate cannot be wound up without the Tax Clearance Certificate so all agreements and most assuredly any payments have to be conditional on first receiving the CRA clearance certificate and that all is done finally with respect to taxes.