How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 100434
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Years we looked after a small piece of property, which we

Customer Question

For 11 years we looked after a small piece of property, which we thought belonged to The County of Strathcona, we found out 2 years ago that it belonged to the Neighbor. When I asked her if she wanted to sell it, she quickly put up a fence around it, blocking out access to our garage with only 25 ft between her fence and our garage. It is impossible for us to back our utility trailor into the garage now and manouver our truck around to park in the garage also. She had no signs posted that it was Private property. Is there any chance that we could claim Adverse possession.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
a 5 ft. fence
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

It may be possible depending on your particular land registry system.

If you used the property continuously, openly, exclusively and without permission then you may be able to assert that claim.

You need a local lawyer to assist you as that lawyer will know what system you are under.

But you had better hurry because if you have waited over two years since she put up the fence then it may very well be too late, unfortunately.

Related Canada Law Questions