How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tom B. Your Own Question
Tom B.
Tom B., Barrister & Solicitor
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 2263
Experience:  25 years in practice
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Tom B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am in a joint ownership of a small townhouse with my

Customer Question

I am in a joint ownership of a small townhouse with my sister and her husband. I live here alone and they have recently moved to BC and have their own place. They helped me to buy my place and are paying the larger part of the mortgage. Initially they were helpful but for the last six months have been threatening to sell and force me out. I am a PWD and this is activating my PTSD and causing severe anxiety and panic attacks. I have been sick with dread and to fearful to stand up for myself. Please tell me what are my rights? Can they force me to move against my will? Can I deny them access to my home? Can I stop the nasty threatening emails? Could I get a restraining order if need be? Thank you. Marilyn.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry to hear of this difficult situation. I'm also sorry that I cannot give you very good news.

If you aren't able to buy them out and they no longer want to own the property then they actually can force the sale of the home.

You don't have the legal right to keep them out of your home because they own it as well.

And you don't have a legal right to it force them to keep paying the mortgage for the home. So ultimately you

arecgoing to have to come to an agreement with them or the house will have to be sold. I don't see any grounds for a restraining order based on the fact that they're telling you that they want to sell the house they own with you. The police will tell you that this is a civil matter.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have found out your legal advise to me is wrong and have tried repeatedly to submit a poor rating of 2 stars. I want the refund promised to me as advertised. Thank you. Marilyn.
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

I don't work for the site. If you want a refund then contact customer service.

I hope you spoke to a lawyer and didn't get advice from someone else. I did not give you advice but legal information and as senior lawyer I can assure you my answer is correct.

Related Canada Law Questions