Tom B.
Tom B., Barrister & Solicitor
Experience:  25 years in practice
28667836

I have a buyer condo and all the paperwork is signed on both

Customer Question

I have a buyer for my condo and all the paperwork is signed on both ends. However, the lawyer for the buyer told me I owe 4000 in a special assessment that just went thru after he bought it. However, none of the meeting minutes my condo management company gave me said this was coming. I also spoke with them to confirm I owed no money, and so did my lawyer. They said no each time, even though they knew the special assessment was coming. They could have told me so I'd listed it for a larger price. I've already asked the other buyer if they would split the cost and of course they said no, as they have no legal reason to. I have been told by a lawyer friend that I could take the condo company to small claims court, but I also am on the verge of going bankrupt and am wondering if that is an option. That way I could back out of the deal with my buyer, they presumably couldn't sue me if I was bankrupt, and nor would I owe the condo company. I also would be free of debt. I have a place to live for free for the next half a year, so I'm not worried about losing accommodations. Any advice on my options would be helpful.
Thank you so very much,
Catherine
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

But isn't your condo worth anything?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will get no equity out of it. Actually, I'm sorry, but this is just too complex a problem to deal with online. Please refund my money. I appreciate that.
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

I don't work for the site. I cannot refund your money. Please contact customer service.