How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 100383
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I would like to file a small claims (30K) against a

Customer Question

I would like to file a small claims (30K) against a municipal govt., but after reading through who one can't sue through small claims court, it appears governments can not be sued through small claims court in Alberta. Please advise me the best and most cost effective route(s) to go in suing for damages..... thanks
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

You will have to sue in superior court and while you can self-represent it will be difficult to do so.

I suggest that as a first step you retain a lawyer to threaten to sue them. That may work as they will then believe you will sue.

If that doesn't work you will have to decide if you want to self-represent or give up unfortunately,.

Related Canada Law Questions