How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 100001
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Our soccer team has been in a soccer league 3 years now.

Customer Question

Hello, Our soccer team has been in a soccer league for over 3 years now. However, they would only receive cash from all teams, and would not provide us with a receipt. I believe that this soccer league is not a registered business and they are not tax reporting their profit.
I would like to know if this soccer league is paying tax from the cash that they receive from all teams every season. We ran into big problem with this league and we are ready to sue this organization.
More info will be given upon contact
Thank you
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

Why does the issue of whether they are paying taxes make a difference in terms of your suing them?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They are profitting over $8000+ just in cash and we feel like they should be a registered business in order to profit that much money. Can I sue them for not giving us a receipt and not paying tax from our profit?
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

You cannot sue them for not giving you a receipt. You can tell them that you won't pay them any more money until they give you a receipt and if all of the teams say this to them then maybe they will stop.

You can't sue them for not paying taxes because it has nothing to do with you. They're not paying taxes is not causing your damages. You can report them to the CRA if you wish though.

Related Canada Law Questions