How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 100946
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My granddaughter's husband deserted the family many years

Customer Question

My granddaughter's husband deserted the family many years ago and she had no ideas where he was. Found out recently he had died in prison. She is still legally married to him. Is she able to apply for the Canadian Widows pansion
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

She may be able to obtain the CPP survivor's pension unless he had a common law spouse. If he did that spouse would be entitled to it if they were still common law at his death.