How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 99979
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am 67 years old and live in West Kelowna, BC. My son and s

Customer Question

My name is***** am 67 years old and live in West Kelowna, BC. My son and his common law wife live in Vancouver and they have one 6 year old boy. They have not allowed me to see my grandson for over a year. There has been no provocation except for the fact that my 'daughter-in-law' hates me. What legal rights do I have for visitation with my grandson?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear of this difficult situation.

The Court in BC have granted grandparents access rights to their grandchildren. You would have to prove that this is in the child's best interest. It is likely not difficult to prove that as generally it is accepted that it is best for children to have their grandparents involved in their lives in meaningful ways.

Your next step should be to consult with a family lawyer face to face with a view to retaining the lawyer to send the parents a letter essentially explaining that while you hope to settle this amicably if necessary you will seek a court order. That letter may help to resolve things because these people are not going to want to be dragged into court and have a court dictate what they have to do with their child.

Related Canada Law Questions