How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 101008
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I run a Canadian Company and need to get a subpoena .com

Customer Question

I run a Canadian Company and need to get a subpoena for for the banking details of the other party, they failed to fully delivery the goods after the payment was released. I want to use the bank details to call their bank in Singapore to ask them what they can do. (Hopefully freeze the funds atleast, but most likely nothing). Then if it comes to it I will fly to Singapore and get a local lawyer there to help me pursing the other party and recover what I can. Would you be able to advise if this is the right strategy?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

No it's not the right strategy. It's never going to work.

What you have to do is sue the person who owes you the money. While you are doing that your lawyer can apply to have all of the assets frozen. Once you get a judgment you can have the assets seized.

The bank will absolutely not do anything that you ask terms of freezing accounts. They will need a court order. They don't have the authority to do otherwise and that makes sense. Imagine if the bank would always freeze someone's assets when someone else asked them to!

So if this is all happening in Singapore then your next dyeo would be to retain a lawyer in Singapore.