My husband and I own a business together. s personal

Customer Question
My husband and I own...
My husband and I own a business together. His personal assistant spoke to him and told him I acused her of having an affair with my husband. After he told me this, I called her and asked her if this was true. She denied it, but then called my husband and was upset as to why he told me about their conversation. Can she be fired for this type of distruction?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Canada Law
10/16/2015
Lawyer: Debra, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Debra, Lawyer

Yes. This is completely inappropriate behaviour in an office and it is most assuredly inappropriate to treat people who are husband and wife like this when they are the employers. You would not be expected to keep her on.

Will we have to give her a severance under any civil or employment laws?

You do not owe her termination pay if she's being dismissed for just cause.

However, employers often provide termination pay even when they may not have to to void a lawsuit. She may be very angry when she is dismissed and immediately go to a lawyer.

If you want to provide her with termination pay let me know how long she has worked for you and I will explain the law.

Debra, Lawyer