How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 99930
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband and I own a business together. s personal

Customer Question

My husband and I own a business together. His personal assistant spoke to him and told him I acused her of having an affair with my husband. After he told me this, I called her and asked her if this was true. She denied it, but then called my husband and was upset as to why he told me about their conversation. Can she be fired for this type of distruction?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

Yes. This is completely inappropriate behaviour in an office and it is most assuredly inappropriate to treat people who are husband and wife like this when they are the employers. You would not be expected to keep her on.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will we have to give her a severance under any civil or employment laws?
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

You do not owe her termination pay if she's being dismissed for just cause.

However, employers often provide termination pay even when they may not have to to void a lawsuit. She may be very angry when she is dismissed and immediately go to a lawyer.

If you want to provide her with termination pay let me know how long she has worked for you and I will explain the law.

Related Canada Law Questions