How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 101005
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I moved in with my boyfriend into s house. He has two kids

Customer Question

I moved in with my boyfriend into his house. He has two kids that lived with us full time and mine half time. I lived there 7 years 2 months. He paid the mortgage I paid most of the bills utilities ect and groceries. Our split was because of blended family issues. What portion of the house and pension am I entitaled too? I am self employed and do not recieve a pension. Thankyou
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

You would share equally in the value of all assets acquired during the relationship aside from gifts and inheritances.

You would not share in the value of any assets brought into the relationship but you would share in the increase in value of these assets over the 7 years.

So if the house or pension increased in value during the 7 years you would be entitled to 50% of the increases in their value from the time you moved in until the time you separated.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If I ask another question I forgot will I get billed again?
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

If this is a follow-up question you are not charged.

If this is a new question please rate this answer first and then start your new question on a new post. I cannot answer a new question here. But, if you put my name into the question somewhere, it is legal ease, I will be the one to answer.

If you signed up for a subscription or were offered some sort of package or trial then you would not be charged for another question. I don't actually work for the site so I don't know what your arrangement with the site was.