barristerinky
barristerinky,
19958803

Kitchen & Deck Renovations.. We have paid partially Kitchen

Customer Question

Kitchen & Deck Renovations.. We have paid partially for a Kitchen renovations to be done as well as deck railing to be installed... It has been 2 months without a kitchen and plumbing. We have a 1 year old child and we are washing dishes in the bathroom sink..
He is giving us the run around and never gets back to us.. He started off at 100%, gutting and putting up drywall and tiling. THe granite counter top came in and it was completely wrong with double sink cut out instead a single sink. The cupboards were wrong dimensions and suffered damage during transport. The granite was replaced and he has complained that he had to swallow the cost of the old. It has been 5 weeks since he has been back and he keep promising to come back and call back. There is now no level of respect in calling us back to discuss what is to be done. My wife and I are at a loss since we have paid him $7000 for the kitchen reno and construction has hauled. He has a lot more work to do like painting other areas of the house and installing other lights around the home. We had to repaint ourselves considering the home is in an uproar mess and we have to preserve a clean environment for our child.
He had signed a statement stating what we had paid him for so far which is good. But he has not done the work.
I am wondering are there laws out there that protects the home owner from people like that?
What actions can i take in retreiving some or all of our funds back?
We needs a kitchen badly and we may have to take out another loan to have homedepot do the job.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  barristerinky replied 2 years ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.

.

Was there a signed contract for the work that specified a tentative completion date?

.

If so, how far past the date is he?

.

Is he continuing to work on the property, even intermittently?

.

Was the $7,000 for the entire job or was that just a partial payment?

.

.

thanks

I am sorry, but it looks like this question might be a Canada law question. The initial country is listed as the US, but later it also states Canada..

.

With that said, I have to opt out in favor of a Canada law expert. I will notify the JustAnswer folks to recategorize the question to the Canada law area and another expert should be along shortly to assist..

.

.

thanks