How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 100945
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Do I have any legal standing or recourse with my Landlord

Customer Question

Do I have any legal standing or recourse with my Landlord and property management, I have been in my apartment for 15 years and the landlord has not done any renovations in my apartment, the apartment is in very bad shape, and they will not do nothing in the apartment, when I ask they ignore me, WHAT CAN I DO???
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

When you talk about renovations, do you really mean repairs? In other words, are there things that need to be repaired in the apartment? That could mean that the apartment needs new carpeting or that the walls need to be repainted but you are not talking about major renovations such as doing a new kitchen or bathroom for example are you?

Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

This question has just appeared on my open list.

That usually means you've replied but I don't see a reply.

If you did reply can you please try again?


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The things that are needed is the celing and walls need to be painted, the rug and lino need to be replaced, all celing light fixtures need to be replaced all so old and rusted, I believe the wall behind tub is rotted, the balcony needs to be fixed it is rotten in one spot, the covers for all plug inns need to be replaced, also I believe the kitchen sink is rusted around the drain pipe.
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

Have you put your request in writing and listed what needs to be done?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
about 10 to 15 times, there response is to ignore me and say they will not do a thing while I live in the apartment, two apartments just become vacant and they had to do work in those apartments, I asked if I could move into one of them they said yes but then rented them out, I also asked if they would get me an apartment in another building they owen or manage but they keep telling me there is no apartments vacant which I know is a lie, they do not want me out of the apartment because then they will have to do work in the apartment.
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

In Alberta that laws that protects tenants is the Residential Tenancies Act.

The Act provides that it's the Landlord's responsibility to keep the home in good repair.

You may not withhold rent but have other options available to you. Before you exercise these options you have to make your requests to the Landlord in writing.

After that one option is to call the government agency that enforces housing by-laws and regulations if you feel these are being breached.

At the same time you can file a complaint with the Residential Tenancies Dispute branch of the government.

You can ask for a rent abatement as well as for an order that the landlord be required to do the repairs.

I hope that helps as a starting point.