How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 100506
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Rat bag sister inlaw doesnt want me married to her sister so

Customer Question

rat bag sister inlaw doesnt want me married to her sister so she does what she can to discredit me and her sister so now I haqve much evidence
to bring her to justice.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

Are you saying she is telling lies about you to your spouse and you want to know how to get her to stop and also how to get an award of damages against her?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
posting it on face book
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

Essentially, your question is about defamation.

Defamation is false communication about a person that tends to hurts the person's reputation.

The communication must be made to other people, not just to the person it's about. It can be spoken or written, or it can even be a gesture.

The law protects your reputation against defamation so, if someone defames you, you can sue the person for money to compensate you for your damage to your reputation.

But it's important to understand that the law doesn't protect you from a personal insult or a remark that injures only your pride; it protects reputation, not feelings.

For example, if someone says that you are a sleazy person then that's not damaging to your reputation as it's really just a mean insult. But if the person is saying that you are dishonest in business, you probably do have a good reason to sue.

In your case because the defamation is happening both verbally and in online the actual legal terms for what you would sue for are "slander" and "libel".

If you can prove that someone libeled you and that person does not have a good defence, then a court will presume that you suffered damages and award you money to compensate for your damaged reputation.

The law treats slander differently than libel: with slander, you have to prove you suffered damages, in the form of financial loss, to get compensation. It can be very difficult to prove this sort of financial loss. That's why most slander cases never go to court.

But in the following four examples, a slander lawsuit may succeed without you proving financial loss. Even though there's no permanent record of the slander, the law will presume damages, as if there were libel, if someone:

  • accuses you of a crime (unless they made the accusation to the police)
  • accuses you of having a contagious disease
  • makes negative remarks about you in your trade or business
  • accuses you of adultery

Your next step should be to consult with a lawyer face to face with a view to retaining the lawyer to send this sister a cease and desist letter demanding a formal retraction and written apology and threatening a lawsuit for significant damages.

Related Canada Law Questions