When I went to school, the school had ordered me a scanner

Customer Question
designed to assist students with...
When I went to school, the school had ordered me a scanner designed to assist students with reading problems. The school then tried to force me to fake a reading disability. I’ve recently obtained documents indicating that when I had my reading tested I scored perfectly fine. I want to know if I can still take legal action against the school being’s it has almost been 8 years since I left. This has caused some permanent damage that still goes on today.
I describe how the problem happened below.
On November 20 2002
Among other things Mrs. Robertson ordered a new scanner. Mrs. Robertson said from now I would use it to have things read to me instead of reading myself.
Mrs Robertson told me that soon I would have my reading tested to see what my reading level actually is Mrs. Robertson believed I needed this because it cost money.
I would just like to note that Mrs. Robertson had no way to indicate based on her personal experience what my reading level was. We had no contact before this incident. Mrs. Robertson did not have me read anything to gage for herself what my reading level was. Mrs. Robertson was actually fresh from teachers college.
On April 23 2003 my reading was tested by Karen Logan my scores were as follows.
Percentile Age Equal
Reading Composite 58th 13:9.
Basic reading also 58th 13:9
Reading Comprehension 55th 13:6
In all three categories my reading scored slightly above where it should be for my age. The problem occurs the scanner had already arrived. The scanner was used once to make sure it worked. After that it sat on my desk for a while and it was eventually put back in the box and taken away.
During my first semester of high school I managed to earn 4.5 credits instead of the traditional 4 my marks ranged 75-80 with an average of 77.3 .This was done without Kuirezewell or any special assistance.
For the remainder off high school I was switched from the Catholic school Board to the public school board. Before the switch there was a meeting at the Catholic School Board in which 4 representatives from the public school board attended. In which they were told how well I did without any special assistance.
Regardless of the meeting upon entering the public school board I was immediately thrown into the handicapped room. I had to spend one period a day in the handicapped room.
The reason for me being in the handicapped room was pegged to four reasons. I was told that the school was shrinking and therefore the school needed all the disabled children they could get their hands on. I was told the scanner was designed to help. The scanner cost money so was therefore needed. Finally it was recommend by Karen Logan. . Whenever I complained about being in the handicapped room I was given one of those four reasons.
The following school year
I was told I could come to the handicap room whenever I wanted. Beings I never wanted to go to the handicap room that simply translated into not going at all. This was good because If I was to a spend period in the handicapped every semester it would take me five years to graduate instead of four.
I was soon told I had to go to the handicapped room 6 hours a week, and that if I don’t go to the handicap room then the following semester I would be put in the handicapped room permanently not just for one period but I would be in the handicapped room all day. This created new problems beings I was missing a couple hours of class every week it was difficult to keep up and it hurt me academically.
A guidance counselor once told me the school doesn’t actually read reports and small discrepancies sometimes do occur. This is more than small discrepancy. Read the reports or not the school attended a meeting at the Catholic school board before I switched school boards.
Permanent Damage Caused
The damage this inflicted was quite obvious. As a result of missing 6 hours of class every week it was often difficult for me to catch up this in turn hurt me academically. It all so created social barrier between me and the other students. Finally it created self-esteem issues and feelings of worthlessness. Some of these problems continue today.
I want to know if I can still sue the school even though I haven’t been there in almost eight years. I say the school instead being there were a good number of teachers/board member who knew about this. If I can sue the school how much should I ask for?
If I can’t sue the school I can I put the story in a newspaper? Or can I threaten the school and say I’m going to put this in a newspaper? I got documents backing this all up including the testing by Karen Logan the meeting between the Catholic school board and my time in the handicapped room. My opposition to the handicap room has been stated in numerous files and it can’ t be stated that I went along with the schools plan to have me fake a disability.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Canada Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
10/5/2015
Lawyer: Debra, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Debra, Lawyer

When did you turn 18, exactly?

This matters as it is affects limitation periods for suing.

I did reply the other day however I`m not sure if you got my responseI`m 25 so it`s been 7 years since I turned 18 regardless of that i'm still living with some of the side effects from what happened.

That first reply did not post. Thanks for trying again.

When did you first discover that you were suffering harm from this?

The harm was obvious from the beginningI had a nervous breakdown shortly after being thrown into the handicapped room.
This has caused live long psychological problemsMissing 6 hours a week to deal with a non-existing reading disability caused academic problems.
This was also obvious right from the beginning.

Then why did you leave this to deal with until now?

This happened when I was and there was nothing I could do.I was always told that the school is following the recommendations of Karen Logan. I've come across Karen Logan"s report and discovered that the school was not following Karen Logan's report and that they're actually doing the complete opposite of the recommendations they claim to follow.This is why I'm dealing with it now.
correctionThis happened when I was a child and there was nothing I could do.I was always told that the school is following the recommendations of Karen Logan. I've come across Karen Logan's report and discovered that the school was not following Karen Logan report and that they're actually doing the complete opposite of the recommendations they claimed to follow.This is why I'm dealing with it now.

The problem is that you are well beyond the limitation period.

The limitation period does not run against minors so for you it started running when you turned 18.

Then you had two years to sue.

Now it's been seven years and so there is likely no possibility of suing.

But it may be that a lawyer could send a letter threatening a lawsuit and the threat of a lawsuit of this sort may be enough to get you an offer of some sort for damages.

I did suspect that it was too late however I wanted to know where I stand legally.I've previously gone to the school and they had no concern for what happened. With that being state the school was very paranoid about this becoming common knowledge.
That is why I want to know if I can put this in a newspaper or at least go public. Also can I threaten the school saying I’m going public?
It might be past the statute of limitations for me but there will be other students it won’t be past the statute of limitations. It would be incredibly naive to think I was the only student this happened too This is fraud and it has to stop.

You can threaten the school and say you are going public and so long as you tell the truth and do not lie at all even if they were to sue you they could not win.

Debra, Lawyer