How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 101366
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

BMO Nesbit Burns is refusing to return my RRSP. I just

Customer Question

BMO Nesbit Burns is refusing to return my RRSP. I just received a message from their Ombudsman that he can not help as either there is legal action between them and me (No) or their is some kind of court order. I asked for a copy of the first page of the order showing the court number. No reply.
If there was an order in 2005 or so, a non-depletion order, when would it expire?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for requesting me.

in Ontario there is no limitation period in terms of the enforcement of a judgment. In other words judgments do not expire in Ontario.

Let me know if you need any further clarification.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The next question is, what do I do next? A cease and desist order? Some kind of court order requesting they provide details of why they are refusing (with documentation) my request? A small claims suit to get compensated for the 1/4 percent interest on my funds for 10 years? Obviously, it is in their best interest to hold my funds at 1/4 percent per year.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
then, what is a non-depletion order? Does it give the right to freeze my funds preventing me from paying ordinary bills?
Expert:  Debra replied 2 years ago.

What happened with the family law proceeding after this order was made?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
resolved within months
Expert:  Debra replied 2 years ago.

Will your former spouse agree to the order being dispensed?