How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 101433
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a small business owner who is expending and very

Customer Question

I am a small business owner who is expending and very successful. Recently I have been receiving emails, posts on social media and phone calls from a man who has less than good things to say about me, my business and my employees. I have contacted the police but they asked me to wait till I have more to report. Can I get help anywhere else to stop this man? We are all women working together and this is getting a little uncomfortable. We suspect he may have some ties with our competition. What can be done?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 2 years ago.

I'm sorry to hear this.

Aside from harassing you if he also telling lies about you to others?

I will be able to answer more fully what they hear the answer to that question.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am an owner of a Montessori Preschool. He is ataking me personally that I am greedy and don't care about safety of the children. That I should take my business somewhere else. That there are other centres around that are better than mine. He called our centre and screamed at one of my teachers so she terminated the call. We also have a rooftop play area and he is saying on social media that who knows what is going on there. We take this accusation / suggestion syriously. Families are reading this things and he is demiging mine and my centre's reputation.
Expert:  Debra replied 2 years ago.

That is simply unacceptable.

First, you should keep a log of everything that he says and does so that you can provide these details to the police. Since he started again I suggest that you call the police and that you should pressure them into charging him.

Second, I suggest that you consult with a lawyer face to face with a view to retaining the lawyer to send him a cease and desist letter. The letter will demand that he cease and desist at once and will also demand that he provide you with the written retraction and apology and threaten a lawsuit.

If he doesn't stop you can seek a restraining order and you can sue him for damages to your reputation because this is a clear case of defamation.