How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ulysses101 Your Own Question
Ulysses101, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 3478
Experience:  11 years experience in Canada family law, plus criminal, civil, and employment
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Ulysses101 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been charged with theft under from the store I work

Customer Question

Hello I have been charged with theft under from the store I work at. I am a single mother and have no prior offenses and intend to pay everything back. What does my sentencing look like?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Ulysses101 replied 1 year ago.

Hello, thank you for the question.

Let's cut to the chase. Your sentencing looks good.

I recommend that you go to court and talk to duty counsel in advance of your court date, ask about what diversion programs might be available so that you can avoid a conviction altogether.

You won't be looking at jail time, especially if you make restitution beforehand. If you do pay them back, just don't admit that you are culpable of stealing, rather say something like "I'm sorry about what happened and I hope that by your acceptance of this sum back we can put this behind us" or something like that, which doesn't specifically admit guilt.

Now, I won't lie to you because that doesn't help you. This is more serious than a simple shoplifting charge. Employees who are convicted of stealing from employers tend to be dealt with more harshly because there's a contractual understanding of trust involved. However if you pay the money back soon that will help. And if this is your first offence then you aren't looking at jail time or anything serious.

Still, you want to avoid a criminal record if you can. So if you make the restitution soon voluntarily and make an apology without admitting the crime, you could well come out of this okay.

Does that help? Please reply if there's more to discuss. If not, then I'd appreciate a positive service rating please.

Expert:  Ulysses101 replied 1 year ago.

I'm still here if there's more to talk about. I don't see any reply from you. Anything more to discuss?

Expert:  Ulysses101 replied 1 year ago.

Have you had a court date? I'm here if you want to talk about this further.

If you don't need to then that's fine. Don't forget about your deposit to the site (if you made one, maybe you're on a subscription). If you made a deposit, you can ask for it back or leave it with the site for a future question.


Related Canada Law Questions