How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 101367
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am american and am planning on marrying a Canadian next

Customer Question

I am american and am planning on marrying a Canadian next year, what would be the best way to fill out the paperwork and what paperwork would I need?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 2 years ago.

Paperwork for what?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
marrying her, getting citizenship or a green card
Expert:  Debra replied 2 years ago.

But are you asking about her immigrating to the US or you to Canada?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
me to Canada
Expert:  Debra replied 2 years ago.

In terms of getting married, you just have to apply for a marriage licence in the city hall in the city where you are going to get married. There is no residency requirement.

Once you are married your spouse can sponsor you.

The way this works is that the sponsorship application and the permanent resident application go in together. Once your spouse is approved as a sponsor you application will be processed.

You will need to undergo medical, background and criminal checks.

Here is the link to the webpage that has all the information and forms:

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
how long will this process take? would I be able to live in Canada with her while everything is being processed?
Expert:  Debra replied 2 years ago.

Yes you can live in Canada while the application is going on. It becomes a bit complicated so you should consult with a local immigration lawyer.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok thank you
Expert:  Debra replied 2 years ago.

You are very welcome. And congratulations!