How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ulysses101 Your Own Question
Ulysses101, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 3500
Experience:  11 years experience in Canada family law, plus criminal, civil, and employment
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Ulysses101 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My wife and I have completed the separation agreement and I

Customer Question

My wife and I have completed the separation agreement and I have my signed copy separation agreement. I now live in Thailand and our marriage took place in Ontario. How can I obtain the finalized divorce and how much would be the cost>?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Ulysses101 replied 1 year ago.

Hello, thank you for the question.

It would be difficult for you to make your divorce application from where you are. Documents have to be sworn, served, and personally filed. You should get a lawyer in Ontario to help you do this. It'll take some time, and probably around $1500 all in, but I can't guarantee what other lawyers charge.

Once retained your lawyer would prepare the Application with the marriage certificate and the separation agreement, get it served on your ex and filed, and see it through. There's a moderate amount of paperwork involved.

Lawyers aren't hard to find online, or if you ask friends and family in Ontario then I'm sure you'll get referrals.

Do you have any specific questions about the divorce process?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If I were in Ontario and did the paperwork myself, what would the minimum cost be, can you tell me?
Expert:  Ulysses101 replied 1 year ago.

If you did it all yourself, you'd still have to pay the filing fees plus taxes. And depending on the specifics of the documents filed, those fees will be $450-$600. When you contact a lawyer and they quote $1500, those fees are included in the retainer. Also, if you see "divorce for $200" advertised then clearly the filing fees aren't included.

Expert:  Ulysses101 replied 1 year ago.

Anything else about this topic that I can help with?

Expert:  Ulysses101 replied 1 year ago.

I'm still here. I observe that you've seen my replies but I'm not seeing any response from you.


Expert:  Ulysses101 replied 1 year ago.

Any new developments? If so then we can discuss it. If you don't need my input any further then that's fine. Don't forget about your deposit to the site, you can ask customer service to get it back if you wish, or leave it for another future question.


Related Canada Law Questions