How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tom B. Your Own Question
Tom B.
Tom B., Barrister & Solicitor
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 2415
Experience:  25 years in practice
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Tom B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was a passenger in a car that was rear ended. My friend

Customer Question

I was a passenger in a car that was rear ended. My friend didn't tell me but her license had expired. I have back pain and headache. I don't want my friend to get in trouble. What will happen to her if I report this accident
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Tom B. replied 1 year ago.


Perhaps little or nothing will happen to your friend. For sure, if you do not report this accident, you bare all of the discomfort with no hope of assistance.

Driving with an expired license is a provincial motor vehicle offence and your friend could get a fine. Depending on her driving record, the province may suspend her license for a time to bring the rules home.

But, in a rear end collision, fault almost always is against the driver who hit from behind. Fault against the other driver is almost certain and therefore you want access to the offending driver's insurance. That of course cannot happen unless a claim is made.

Depending on the province, your friend could get a fine of a few hundred dollars and if she otherwise has a bad driving record, she could get a suspension of a few months as well.

But, without a claim, you could lose thousands of dollars in compensation including physiotherapy, massage and perhaps compensation for pain and lost work etc..

I suggest reporting.

Consult your doctor over potential long term effects of this accident.

Report it and then consult a personal injury lawyer after hearing from the insurance company and before settling.

Your injury could be much more serious than anything that can happen to your friend.



Expert:  Tom B. replied 1 year ago.

Do you require more information?

Otherwise, please rate my answer well.


Related Canada Law Questions