Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I am currently applying to the canadian army reserves and I

Customer Question

I am currently applying to the canadian army reserves and I have my medical examination coming up soon. I have several self-harn scars on my upper arms from my teenage years. Will this be an issue during my medical examination?
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Tom B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello

Such could be a problem but before that, you may be asked for disclosure about prior issues over depression.

This could have already been a part of a questionnaire as part of your application.

Being a lawyer I cannot foresee what a doctor might see or ask. But, as a lawyer I can only suggest that you always tell the truth.

Obviously, you were in hard times at some point. Admit that if asked. Be prepared to discuss what treatments you underwent. The doctor only wants to know that you are healthy.

The doctor may not notice or care. But, being dishonest about your present or past health (if asked), is wrong and could result in later dismissal.

Show you are proud to have overcome and that you want to serve. I cannot recommend bringing the past up yourself but strongly recommend being as honest as you can be.

There is never a long term benefit to not telling the truth even if it creates a temporary setback.

Be proud you overcame and want to serve.

Good luck!

Tom

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have not had treated or medicated or even diagnosed ot was more of a situational thing but it has been overcome and is no longer an issue
Expert:  Tom B. replied 1 year ago.

Then my opinion remains that you should try.

Tom

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Should I speak with a doctor?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
My question is more regarding the medical field as opposed to the legal field I was expecting an answer from a doctor
Expert:  Tom B. replied 1 year ago.

Absolutely!

Lawyers argue law but doctors can create evidence.

Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.

Hello. This question was added to the medical category. The recommendation from the legal expert is also correct from a medical perspective. As part of the exam, the doctor will be most interested in your current state of health, but will also want to assess the risk for future health issues, including the ability to handle the stress involved in being in the military. And getting a full understanding of the situations that led to the self-harm and how it was overcome will help the doctor make that assessment. If you appear like you are trying to hide the previous situations, then that would usually be perceived as a negative sign that you would be able to handle similar stressful situation in the future.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What should I say when asked about them? I havent been treated or medicated or anything like that should i go see a civillian doctor before my medical examination?

You do not need to see a civilian doctor before the medical examination. During the medical examination, when you are asked about your past medical history, then you should inform the doctor of the situations that resulted in the scars. The doctor may ask further questions to ascertain whether there is any concern about future risk, and you should answer these questions honestly and completely.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I also heard that I may need a mental health referral from my family doctor but I haven't been to a doctor in a few years.

It will depend upon the assessment during the medical examination. There is no reason to seek a mental health referral before the medical examination.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I shouldnt have any issues than?

The mere fact that you had the prior incidents would not be an issue. Whether there is an issue would depend upon the assessment of whether you have future risk, and that cannot be determined over the internet - that can only be done by the in-person assessment.

Expert:  Tom B. replied 1 year ago.

Thanks Doc!

If you have no further legal questions, please consider rating my answer well.

Many thanks,

Tom

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you opt out and open the question up to other experts please
Expert:  Tom B. replied 1 year ago.

Certainly

What further questions do you have?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was never on medication for depression and the self-harm isn't in my medical history will this help my chances

It can go either way. The fact that it did not require treatment is a relatively good sign, but it also could be interpreted as a sign that you are not willing to seek care when having problems, although this latter issue would be primarily a concern if the assessment raises concern about current or future risk.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As a doctor how would you interpret it?

It would require a long discussion of the prior period of time in your life, and that cannot be done over the internet.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
should I make an appointment with my physician?

As I said above - You do not need to see a civilian doctor before the medical examination.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm just trying to put my mind at ease

If it would ease your anxiety, it would be fine to seek an assessment from a civilian doctor or mental health professional, but it is not going to affect the medical examination that will be done independently.