How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tom B. Your Own Question
Tom B.
Tom B., Barrister & Solicitor
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 2415
Experience:  25 years in practice
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Tom B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My relative had a ran s truck off a logging road that is not

Customer Question

My relative had a ran his truck off a logging road that is not maintained by township, county or provincial governments. He was charged with careless driving by the Ontario
Provincial Police. This road is a private road maintained by a logging company. Can he
be charged with this offence of careless driving. No alcohol or drugs were involved?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Tom B. replied 1 year ago.


Alas, in my opinion this person can be charged.

The Highway Traffic Act clearly has jurisdiction over any road the public uses even if over private land.

If however this person was clearly a trespasser and no one of the public used the road, then perhaps there is an argument. But if people use the road, whether private land or not, it falls under the legislation where careless driving lies.

Of course all law is fact specific and he should consult a lawyer. But, on what you have told me, the Highway Traffic Act applies and therefore the charge can be laid.



Related Canada Law Questions