How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 100043
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I filed a assault case with the police in January 2015 and

Customer Question

I filed a sexual assault case with the police in January 2015 and they investigated for a few weeks and then closed the case. There are other woman who were assaulted by this man and I told the police this, but I don't believe they did everything they could to investigate that and talk to those women. They made a half-hearted effort to investigate and then closed it. I feel they, from the start, treated me like they did not believe me and their bias was toward the accused. They talked to me like I am a jealous, scorned woman out for revenge.
Now this man is hacking into my facebook account and deleting all my emails where I tell friends what he did to me. I feel harassed and not safe, like he is going to do something else other than just hacking. I told this to the police and they did not seem to care, nor believe me.
I want to know if there is a way to find out who deleted my emails and also to push the police to actually do their jobs and investigate him properly. The crime that happened to me was real and it sickens me to know that I am not being believed and that nothing is being done about it. Can you point me in the right direction of where I can get help with this?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

I am very sorry to hear this.

I suggest that you consider a few options.

First, you can go to the supervisor of the police that didn't investigate fully, complain and ask for a further investigation and ask that they interview the other women.

If that doesn't work then there is another route you can go if the police will not assist you.

You can attend at the Justice of the Peace's office in any criminal court.

You simply walk in, tell the JP's secretary what you want to do, and he/she will give you a form to fill out (basic information and your allegations).

Then after you hand it in, you'll speak to the JP and explain the basis for the allegations.

Then if the JP decides there is enough to lay the information, he/she will schedule a pre-enquete (relatively brief in camera hearing to determine whether or not to proceed).

Be prepared to bring any evidence or witnesses you might have for that so bring the women.

If that doesn't work then you can retain a lawyer to send him a demand letter demanding he cease and desist from hacking you and demanding compensation for harming you and threatening a lawsuit.

In terms of the hacking, I am a lawyer and don't know how you can find this out.

Related Canada Law Questions