Debra, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

My fiancé was refused entry to canada DUI from 2012, we are

Customer Question

Hi, my fiancé was refused entry to canada for a DUI from 2012, we are to be married in the USA in late October, and he would like to come to Canada with me for christmas, how can I get a temporary visitor permit for him?Does it make it easier if we are married(I have no criminal record)
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 2 years ago.

Your being married does not help unfortunately.

It is not likely that he will be able to enter on a Temporary Resident Permit. That is not given for all cases. Rather it is reserved for more extraordinary cases or when the visit is needed for work or if at least 5 years has passed since the sentence was completed.

It is possible to apply ahead of time rather than at the border so at least you will be certain. The fee is $200 and is non-refundable if he is refused.

I am sorry this is not the answer you were hoping for.