How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 100415
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I need to find out if it ispossible 16-year-old Grandson to

Customer Question

I need to find out if it ispossible for my 16-year-old Grandson to live with me. I live near Salt Lake City, and he lives in Abbotsford, British Columbia.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

What does the dad want?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
His dad doesn't have a problem with him living with us. Our home (that of my husband and I) is very relaxed, and we almost never raise our voices (except when either one of us is calling the other upstairs or downstairs). My daughter constantly callsthe police on him just for the simplest of things, like quietlyasking her why she is being such a b___h. Okay, that maybe worth a slap on the face, but when she starts screaming, repeatedly at least 50 times (barely taking a breath) "Get out of my house!!!" over it, she is over the edge. My grandson just wants to feel loved by his mom, but all he feels is anger and almost hatred. I literally fear that he will kill himself over this estrangement with his mother!
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

So he wants to live with you, the dad is fine with that but the mother wants the child to live with the dad?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
that's about the size of it. She feels that making him live at his dad's apartment, he'll build a relationship with him. She likes to have total control in their lives (been that way since she was young)!
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

She will not succeed if this goes to court. She doesn't want him and wants the dad to have him and the dad is happy with him living with you and this is what the child wants. I suggest you retain a lawyer in the mother's city and have the lawyer send a letter to the mother threatening a court order if necessary.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have been trying the best I know how to reach an accord diplomatically if at all possible. Does British Columbia recognize Emancipation for a 16-year-old?
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

No that is not possible in BC.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That is unfortunate. The problem is that my daughter has sole custody of her son and two daughters. I fear that she will block us from seeing the girls if we try to legally get custody of our grandson, or at the very least, guardianship. I know that would be heartbreaking for the girls.
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear this.

Related Canada Law Questions