Debra, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

My question is this; I work printing company and on a normal

Customer Question

Hi, my question is this;
I work for a printing company and on a normal day things get crazy with production.
I was walking in the plant and suddenly I was hit from behind with a power hand truck.
The company seems to think I was responsible for the situation.
Few things I should mention.
- there is no specific isle for pedestrians and or for the tow motor or power hand truck.
-We have a safety team but got no response from them.
- the person that hit me did not get the company orientation. Or our safety module.
- he received them after the accident.
- the injury was more to my foot which the power lift went over.
Please advise what I should do.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 2 years ago.

You should file a claim with workers compensation and also speak to the employer about what happened and demand to know what they are going to do about it so that this doesn't happen to you or to anyone else again.

If they are talking about disciplining you or dismissing you then you should know that the law is that you have a right to have your side of the story heard and for their to be a full and impartial investigation and for the decision making process in terms of what should happen to you be conducted by unbiased decision makers.

If you are dismissed and they say it is for cause you will have a case of wrongful dismissal.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your response.
The same day of the accident the company forced me the same day to see the company doctor even though I told them I was fine to continue working.
To add to the situation I was asked to take the remainder of the day off.
Do they have the right to ask me to see the company doctor even though I said I was fine?
Do they have the right to ask me to take the remainder of the day off?
Expert:  Debra replied 2 years ago.

They have the right to make sure you are OK because they don't want you endangering yourself or others. And they don't want you to say you are fine but later say you are not.

If the doctor said you are fine then they had no right to send you home and should pay you for the rest of the day.