Debra, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

I have recently gotten a greyhound, and my condo board did

Customer Question

Hi there. I have recently gotten a greyhound, and my condo board did not approve his application due to his height being above 18". I know that there is another dog in the building who is larger than this restriction. I was wondering how to either go about changing the bylaw provision, or getting an exception from the condo board. I am willing to go to court to keep my dog. Thanks for your time!
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 2 years ago.

The law is that the board must enforce the bylaws consistently and fairly. It is not acceptable for the board to every apply a bylaw to one person and not to another. For this reason you have a strong case to compel the board to overlook the bylaw and allow you keep your dog simply because they did that for the other owner.

I suggest you, or a lawyer acting for you, send them a letter stating that this is your view and threatening a lawsuit.

If you want to have a bylaw changed you are going to have to get 75% of the owners to vote for the bylaw change.