How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 100483
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

After 5 plus years of having a common law situation blocking

Customer Question

After 5 plus years of having a common law situation blocking an estate settlement, the children who are to inherit the deceased father's property, have learned the elderly woman is no longer living in the house. It appears from neighbours that the house is abandoned and believe she is now living with a daughter somewhere in the lower mainland of BC. due to advancing Alzheimers. Her children have no financial interest in the house although a son's auto is seen every two weeks or so. This has been an ongoing stalemate due to the April 20?? BC law that declares a two year common law relationship gives the woman involved certain rights that no Kelowna lawyer has seen fit to question legally.
What are the next steps these lawmakers expect the 2 remaining executors to take?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

Why does it matter whether the widow lives in the home or not? For example, did the Will give her a life interest in the home?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Your question "Did the will ..." A codicil was produced by this woman following the reveal of the Will by the children. She then threatened that they should expect to pay for total equal accommodation should they expect her to move out and while not written, the children have been paying the annual property taxes and insurance as demanded. No local lawyer (more than one were tried) would take the case with the laws as written mid April 2009.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The Father was living in his own home and found it convenient/expeditious to have a live-in housekeeper. She was not much younger and was happy to have accommodation in her declining years. The father was 84 at the time of his death in 2009Yes I will entertain the $72 cost but I am living in a Retirement Home myself, using their facilities to e-mail. I can be reached at(###) ###-####but have to leave this machine (if I want lunch). Edith Pitman
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

I am actually not able to speak on the telephone with you. The rules of my Law Society prohibit me from speaking on the telephone to you because you are not my client.

What I am asking is whether the will, or the codicil, gave her a life interest in the home.

If so, is there any issue now given that she has moved out?

Related Canada Law Questions