How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tom B. Your Own Question
Tom B.
Tom B., Barrister & Solicitor
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 2415
Experience:  25 years in practice
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Tom B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

An Aussie ex- receives a periodic pension from the SAS

Customer Question

An Aussie ex-pat receives a periodic pension from the SAS Trustee Corp in OZ. If he were to remain in OZ it would be a tax free sum. Under the tax treaty it appears it would be tax free in Canada as well. Is this so?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Tom B. replied 2 years ago.


I see you have been waiting so I will jump in.

Your question is best put to an accountant or the CRA rather than a lawyer. However, I am dealing with the tax treaty with OZ on the same issue.

It appears the treaty attempts to mirror each countries rules so there is few discrepancies. I believe as you do that these payments would not be taxed in Canada.

I would start with the Tax Rulings Directorate. Here is a link....

My read is as yours that it should not be taxed. But, only a ruling from the CRA will secure the issue.