How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 99954
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son is involved in an acrimonious divorce. Terms have

Customer Question

My son is involved in an acrimonious divorce. Terms have been agreed upon but have not been signed off by a judge. His spouse comes from a very disfunctional family. When they married she had two daughters aged 6 and 8 from her first marriage. Then they had a daughter and a son. He has shared custody of his two children - he works for 4 days and has his children for 4 days.
He has learned from her first husband's partner that her partner was contacted by his ex-wife who told him that their now 14-year old daughter claims that my son touched her inappropriately some time in the past and that her older sister witnessed it. He absolutely denies this, and has been asked by the woman who informed him not to reveal that she told him.
The stepdaughters deeply resent my son's very involved relationship with his children and their mother has been relentlessly difficult throughout the proceedings. It's entirely possible that her daughters have been encouraged to make this accusation.
What should my son do to protect himself?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

Does your son have a family lawyer?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He has a divorce lawyer, but he, and we, are not happy with his handling of thec
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The settlement of the divorce was the polar opposite of what his lawyer assured him it would be.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The accusation is like a pre-emotive strike as he has been more insistent that she comply with the agreed terms: e.g. Consulting him about expenditures over $100 (he has to pay 80 per cent to her 20) before demanding payment. Also, his children express their preference for him.
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

Then he needs to consult with a criminal lawyer and get some basic advice about what to do if the police or child protective services want to speak to him and so that he will have a lawyer ready to act if necessary.

He should also let his family lawyer know what is going on unless the lawyer is not acting for him any more.

Related Canada Law Questions