How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 100977
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Just looking regarding slander. have someone posting harmful

Customer Question

just looking for information regarding slander. have someone posting harmful and untrue statements on facebook in a business review.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for requesting me.

The law is that statements that are untrue and harm your reputation are examples of defamation. In fact this is libel not slander as it is in written form.

You can sue someone who defames you but that is very expensive so the first step would be to retain a lawyer and have the lawyer send the person a cease and desist letter demanding they stop defaming you and that they provide you with a written retraction and apology and threatening a lawsuit.