How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 100505
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am currently in the middle of an unpleasant situation. My

Customer Question

I am currently in the middle of an unpleasant situation. My mother has been committing eldery abuse financially (spending pension money on herself rather than paying for my grandmothers nursing home) and now owes the nursing home over $20,000. I recently sold my house and my mother now expects me to bail her out of the situation. I feel I have two options; let her face the legal consequences or set up a loan agreement and pay off the debt. I would like to consult a lawyer but I'm not sure what this falls under (family law?). Also I was wondering what her consequences legally would be and if I did loan her the money what would happen if she did not repay the loan. She has no assets or job at the moment only a pending settlement with an investor. Also note she has had her POA taken away previously and fought to regain it. She lives in Quebec and I am currently residing in Ontario. Any information would be appreciated.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

If she does not repay the loan you could sue her but if she has no income or assets then you could not enforce the judgment.

If you cannot afford to gift this it sounds like s risky endeavour.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
obviously. As asked previously what would her legal implications be for not paying the nursing home and using my grandmothers funds as her own? And what type of lawyer deals with these situations as I would like to sit down and talk to someone.
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

She can be sued and she can be charged with fraud. This is also considered a form of elder abuse. You can see a lawyer that does civil litigation.

Related Canada Law Questions