How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 100050
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My daughter was murdered while working in a camp as a

Customer Question

My daughter was murdered while working in a camp as a chef.The fellow charged is an employee of the same company she worked for.He also killed one other person. I don't believe the company did what they could to keep their employees safe as this fellow has a record of being of the wall.He had been in different camps and sent out for his behavior. I worked at the same camp until last year and I no what there safety practices were.80 miles in the bush with no vehicle for emergencies and never any security.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry for your tragic loss.

Are you asking about suing the company?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

You can sue the successfully if you can prove that they owed your daughter a duty of care and were negligent.

They clearly owed your daughter a duty of care as she was their employee.

Whether they were negligent or not will depend on the facts, including what they knew of this person, what background checks they did, what their safety procedures and emergency procedures are etc. To some extent it will depend on whether they fell below acceptable standards that most camps practice.

So your next step would be to consult with a local lawyer face to face and review the facts in some detail and get some advice about what this lawsuit will costs, what your chances of success are and then decide what to do.

What you can do to find a lawyer is one of the following things.

You can contact the Law Society and use their LawyerReferral Service. You will be given the name of a lawyer and canconsult with the lawyer and the first half hour will be free.

The number is:

1-***-***-**** or
***-***-**** in Calgary

Or you can check on a site called lexpert. This is a legal directory of leading lawyers and law firms throughout Canada and is well-respected by the legal community.

Here's the link to their website:

Related Canada Law Questions