Debra, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

Can I get fired or sued out pricing information to a

Customer Question

Can I get fired or sued for giving out pricing information to a competitor?
Submitted: 1 year ago via Cornell Legal Info Institute.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

Yes, it is likely that you can be both fired and sued because it is unlawful for you as an employee to release any confidential information that you acquire during the course of your employment. To provide this to a competitor, if it will harm your employer, would absolutely be grounds for immediate just cause dismissal.

But, on the other hand, if this is actually not confidential information, while it may grounds grounds for dismissal if it appears as if you are assisting the competitor, there would be no grounds for a lawsuit because you would not have caused the employer damages.

Does that help? Let me know if you need further clarification and if you do then perhaps provide me with a few more details.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What classifies it as confidential?
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

If the information is only available to employees of the employer and then customers/clients then the information would likely be confidential.

If the information is available to anyone who checks online or calls and asks for it then it would not be confidential.