Copperlaw
Copperlaw, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer and Retired cop. Drug expert, breath tech, negotiator, traffic specialist. Criminal, Family, Civil and others.
38596469

Do I need a lawyer claims court?

Customer Question

Do I need a lawyer for small claims court?
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Copperlaw replied 2 years ago.

Good evening.

You do not require a lawyer for Small Claims court. The Small Claims courts are set up to be simplified so that people have access to them without the necessity of hiring a lawyer and are much easier to deal with than the regular civil courts and the judges will lend some guidance on the process, but not on what evidence to provide.

It is however, always advisable to be represented in any court matter if you can afford to hire someone. Both Lawyers and Paralegals can assist you in Small Claims and hiring a Paralegal will be cheaper. Further, if your claim is successful, you can seek costs from the other side, to cover the expense of hiring a Paralegal or lawyer.

In the end, a lawyer or paralegal knows the system, they know how to run a trial, how to cross examine witnesses, how to present evidence and arguments and how to make submissions at closing of a case. They also know relevant law pertaining to the facts of the case.

It is however, up to you, and you do not have to have one and can represent yourself and many people do, successfully.

Please let me know how else I may be of assistance.

Jim

Expert:  Copperlaw replied 2 years ago.

Hi, I see that you were back on however I do not see a reply from you. Please let me know if you are satisfied with the information that I have provided or whether you require anything further.

Also, please take a moment to leave me a positive rating as this assists me in building my reputation here on the site.

Regards

Jim