How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 99962
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My Mother's house was appraised at $205K. It sold for $155K.

Customer Question

My Mother's house was appraised at $205K. It sold for $155K. We paid probate on the $205K and now have asked our lawyer to submit a request for reimbursement which should be in the area of $800. He says its not likely they will reimburse us so he won't send in the request. If it was the other way around the government would be demanding we pay them extra.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

Your lawyer can bring an application to the court by way of motion to request an order that the probate fees be partially refunded to reflect the actual cost of the sale of the house.

However, there is no guarantee that the court will agree, and at the same time it will cost you more in legal fees than $800 to have your lawyer do this.

It is possible to self represent if you like.

Related Canada Law Questions