How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 100483
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am in the process of applying PR from UK to Canada. Can a

Customer Question

I am in the process of applying for my PR from UK to Canada. Can a diploma studied for part time be used to gain educational points to get the required 67 points? It's a recognised qualification from an international body.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

Did you obtain the diploma already or are you still in the process of obtaining it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have obtained it already
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

Here is the government web page that explains how this works:

So, as long as your institution is recognized and you have the requisite number of credits as per the website it does not matter if the institution is not actually a university nor does it matter if you attended part time only.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But the diploma has to have taken a year?
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

You can do the courses over many years, but what the site is saying is that it has to be equivalent to one year. So if a one year program requires five full credits, so long as you have the five full credits it is comparable to you having attended school for one year, even if you took several years to obtain those five credits.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks - what if the course takes slightly less eg 6 months?
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

It doesn't matter how long the course takes. It matters whether the course is considered to be equivalent to one recognized regular course.

Related Canada Law Questions