Debra, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

I was POA Financial and Personal Care cousin. He was in a

Customer Question

I was POA for both Financial and Personal Care for my cousin. He was in a rapidly declining mental state when I was made POA and was in isolation/quarantine in the hospital at this time. A quick decision was made that as his closest relative/friend that I have him sign documents to insure that he could be cared for. There were no other family members involved in his care as he was estranged from them. He died without a will. Estate went to his estranged father whose second wife was his POA. The estranged father died and the second wife is now executor of the estate. The POA for Personal Care does not include a clause that I be reimbursed for my efforts. However I have calculated that @605 m/h were spent caring for him over the period of 2 years. Any way of legally receiving re-imbursement for this time?
Category: Canada Law
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The definition of caring for him is hospital time, care facilities, meetings with CCAC, bankers.....I was not personally caring for his physical requirements. However he suffered from early onset dementia, with no prognosis and was in care facilities which I arranged, moved him to. Purchased personal items, attended appointments, advocated for him both at facilities and hospitals.
Expert:  Debra replied 2 years ago.

Yes. You are entitled to some compensation even if the POA does not say this so long as it doesn't say you are not entitled. You would make a claim to the estate and if the estate administrator does not pay you then you would sue the estate.

If you don't believe they will agree then it may be best to have a lawyer send the demand letter for you.