How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 99918
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I currently lease a truck, I am an owner/operator expediting

Customer Question

I currently lease a truck, I am an owner/operator expediting freight to and from the USA.
My leasing company made a critical error when trying to change ownership back on Aug 5/2015
The result of this error is I have been unable to work since then. I need to work but I can't even drive my truck.
I would like to know what recourse I may have to recoup the revenues I have lost
How would I proceed in cancelling the lease and retuning the truck to them
Thank You
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear this.

If you are losing income as a result of their error then you can sue them for damages.

You should send them a letter by Registered Mail, set out the facts and tell them that each day that goes by is causing the damages you are sustaining to mount and you will be seeking reimbursement for all damages you incur as a result of loss of income.

At the same time you need to mitigate your damages and so if you can rent a truck and work and this will cause you to suffer less damages then you must do that.

You can sue them for up to $25,000 in Small Claims Court and can self-represent and so if they don't rectify the problem and reimburse you for your lost income your next step would be to sue.

Related Canada Law Questions