How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 100408
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a complicated situation... i was suppose to move in

Customer Question

I have a complicated situation... i was suppose to move in as a roomate. But the other party gave me no place to stay and i still paid rent for 4 months without even living there... they also set up all the utilites in my name and i only gave permission for the natural gas... now they are not telling me witch ones they setup in my name or the amounts... they used my drivers licence # ***** this..
And now they are saying they are going to give all my information to the primary landlord witch i have no signed lease with...for overdue rent since they got evicted.
What are my options?
Thank you
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

Why did you pay rent when you hadn't moved in and when that party was not giving you a place to live in? How much rent did you pay?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was suppose to move in once they had finished moving in... in a trust basis.. when i did go to move in they had my room full wall to wall with boxes. So i gave them a little more time to get organized... witch never happend when i ever i asked them they simply ignored the question and only contacted me for rent money..
Then total at this point is 4500.00
And now they are threatening to sue me for outstanding money as well as giving the landlord all my personal information to have my wages garnished.
As well they are refusing to give me any receipt for what i have paid.
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

This doesn't make any sense.

First they owe you the money as you never were permitted to move in.

Second your tenancy agreement (which they breached) is not with their landlord. It is with them. They are your landlord or were supposed to be.

I suggest you try and nip this in the bud by paying a lawyer to send them a letter demanding the return of the $4500 by a deadline that you set and threatening a lawsuit.

You can sue them in Small Claims Court and can self-represent but paying a lawyer to do the letter is the best thing for you to do.

Expert:  Kent-cssm replied 1 year ago.
We received your customer service inquiry, however, we are unable to respond to you because we do not have your email address. Please contact customer support at***@******.*** and provide us with your email address and a link to this question page so that we can help you. (
Thank you,
The JustAnswer Customer Support Team
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

Are you having problems with this post?

Related Canada Law Questions