How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 100416
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am the owner of a small business in a professional

Customer Question

I am the owner of a small business in a professional building. I've been in the building for 15 years and have just resigned a lease for another 10 years starting September, 2015. I agreed to a full renovation by the building owners from June 1 to July 31. The space is roughly 25% done as of August 20 and completely unusable with the exception of the 300 square feet we are operating out of. The owners have started other renovations for new tenants in their other two buildings and are unsure as to the time line of completion for our renovation. I am looking for advise on what options I have with regards ***** ***** 10 year contract. Am I responsible to pay for space I am not able to use but have signed a contract for? And, we signed a contract for the renovation but how much leeway do they have? Thank you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

If you are not able to use the space that you are paying rent for then you are entitled to receive a refund proportionate to the amount of space you cannot use. In other words, if you can only use 20% of your unit then you really only owe 20% of the rent.

I suggest that you send a letter to the landlord demanding that you get reimbursed for any rent that you paid and that going forward your rent is reduced by this same amount until this space is completed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you! That is something I can work with.
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome. I am glad I could be of assistance.

Related Canada Law Questions