Debra, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

My father and stepmother have lived separately 10 years but

Customer Question

my father and stepmother have lived separately for about 10 years but have not attempted to divorce. They see each other regularly and are friendly, my father helps get her groceries and they go out for dinner occasionally. In the eyes of the law are they still considered to be married for the purposes of inheritance? What does the law say about inheritance for stepchildren?
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 2 years ago.

The last is that your step mother will not have any claim to his estate so long that your father has a Will. The step children do not have any right to your father's estate at any point in time.

If your father dies without a will then your step mother will have a strong claim to a significant portion of the estate. How much of the estate she will get depends on your province.

If your father does not have a Will let me know your province.