How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 101016
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Am I liable if I allow a 16year old ride my atv in my

Customer Question

Am I liable if I allow a 16year old ride my atv in my property. And he has an accident. Can I demand he pay for repairs to atv. Am I responsible for his minor medical costs?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 2 years ago.

Did you have the consent of the parent or legal guardian?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No I did not have parental consent
Expert:  Debra replied 2 years ago.

It is possible that the parents could sue you successfully for damages as their son got hurt and they had out of pocket expenses. The child is a minor and so could not consent for himself.

You can ask them to pay for the damages but he is a minor and you cannot sue him. You cannot sue the parents as they are not liable in a case like this. If they were supposed to be supervising him and did not then they would be liable (because of the Parental Responsibility Act) but not when you let him ride on your property without their being present to supervise and without their consent.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you
Expert:  Debra replied 2 years ago.

You are very welcome.