Debra, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

Am I liable if I allow a 16year old ride my atv in my

Customer Question

Am I liable if I allow a 16year old ride my atv in my property. And he has an accident. Can I demand he pay for repairs to atv. Am I responsible for his minor medical costs?
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 2 years ago.

Did you have the consent of the parent or legal guardian?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No I did not have parental consent
Expert:  Debra replied 2 years ago.

It is possible that the parents could sue you successfully for damages as their son got hurt and they had out of pocket expenses. The child is a minor and so could not consent for himself.

You can ask them to pay for the damages but he is a minor and you cannot sue him. You cannot sue the parents as they are not liable in a case like this. If they were supposed to be supervising him and did not then they would be liable (because of the Parental Responsibility Act) but not when you let him ride on your property without their being present to supervise and without their consent.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you
Expert:  Debra replied 2 years ago.

You are very welcome.