Copperlaw
Copperlaw, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer and Retired cop. Drug expert, breath tech, negotiator, traffic specialist. Criminal, Family, Civil and others.
38596469

My older brother is in jail at united state because of t and

Customer Question

Hello, My older brother is in jail at united state because of hit and run with GBI (great bodily injury) and insurance fraud. And my question is that if he gets transferred over to Canada (Canada citizen) approximately how long would his sentence be?
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Copperlaw replied 2 years ago.

If he were to be allowed to serve his sentence in Canada, transferred under the international Transfer of Offenders Act, he would serve whatever time he was sentenced to in the US. In Canada however under the federal system (sentences of 2 or more years), he could be eligible for parole after serving one-third of the sentence.

So if he has served half of the sentence already, he could be released into the community if he returns to Canada to complete the sentence.

I look forward to hearing back from you so that I may ensure that you have all of the information you require.

Also, please take a moment to leave me a positive rating.

Jim

Expert:  Copperlaw replied 2 years ago.

I see that you were back in and viewed my response, however I do not see a reply from you. Please let me know if you are satisfied with the information I have provided or whether you require anything further. I am happy to continue chatting if you need anything else at all.

Jim