Tom B.
Tom B., Barrister & Solicitor
Experience:  25 years in practice
28667836

I would like to ask a book publishing lawyer a few

Customer Question

I would like to ask a book publishing lawyer a few questions.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 2 years ago.

If you let me know your province and basic facts I will then know whether I can answer or not.

If I can of course I will go right ahead and answer, and if I cannot I will opt out and try and find an expert who can help you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I a a publisher of two books previously, one by a US publisher and another by a Canadian publisher. So I am generally familiar with book contracts etc. Now I have a third book that captured a lot of interest. I have a Canadian publisher (who published my last book), that sent me a contract yesterday. I also have a New York publisher and a publisher in London England all interested. The london publisher asked for us to submit the entire manuscript but no contract with them until we do that.....so my question is about the book publishing and marketing industry. I would like to ask/suggest to the Canadian publisher that he might have some arrangement with the London publisher in which they market Uk area , for instance, while they handle Canada. (Maybe ? similar arrangement in US with New York publisher?) Before I discussed this I wanted to know if this type of thing is already done. My research of the Canadian publisher is that they market Canada wide, Canadian books............I think they should welcome this idea. So wondering if you know if this is something common in publishing industry. thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
hope that went
Expert:  Debra replied 2 years ago.

I am not familiar with this area of the law well enough to answer in a meaningful way. I am going to opt out and encourage other experts to take this on.

Expert:  Tom B. replied 1 year ago.

Hi.

I consider myself well versed in this area being a publisher myself.

I find your question concerning because after three books, you should have an agent dealing with such matters. You could be dealing with connected vanity press publishers.

Do you have to pay anything or are they paying you????

Tom