How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 100033
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a Property Management company that owes my company

Customer Question

I have a Property Management company that owes my company $50,000.00
I wish to take this to the Courts.
Do I need a lawyer ?
I was looking for a Canadian/Alberta lawyer
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

It is permissible for you to self represent, but highly inadvisable because you need to use in superior court. At the very least, you should retain a lawyer to send the property management company a demand letter, demanding that they pay you the money owed by a deadline that you set, and threatening a lawsuit.

Then you can either retain a lawyer or, if necessary, proceed to self represent, but perhaps that lawyer can give you advice from time to time for a nominal fee.

To find a lawyer you can contact the Law Society and use their Lawyer Referral Service. You will be given the name of a lawyer and can consult with the lawyer and the first half hour will be free.

The number is:

1-***-***-**** or
***-***-**** in Calgary

Related Canada Law Questions